Sunday, May 13, 2007

Clothing with tatting embellishments

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
In 1999 I went to Fiji with a group to build a church. While I was there I fell in love with all that was Fiji including the sulu skirts that both men and women wore. When I returned to the U.S. I set out to make my own skirt with tatting on it. I chose one of my favorite colors...a mellow happy shade of yellow. I chose the same color thread to create a subtle monotone effect. All the butterflies on the skirt are from The Big Book of Tatting. I've only worn this skirt once since I made it because, firstly, this isn't really the fashion for this part of the world, and I put so much work into it that I didn't want it to be ruined, and finally, I've been waiting to go back to Fiji and model it there.
Well, I decided to wear it today for Mother's Day. There is no sense in keeping it hid away forever.
Also, I think it is noteworthy to point out that all the tatting is in size 80 thread and I have over 15 feet of tiny edging. Talk about a long and boring process, if I recall correctly I think it took two months of tatting everyday to finish the edging.
It looks like I have a little more work to do in securing the butterflies...their antennaes are flopping about.

2 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful! Oh, to be thin enough to even consider wearing a skirt like this! Let me see... give up carbs, exercise... nah! I think I'll sit and tat and maybe embellish a skirt for one of my skinnny daughters!

Tattycat said...

This is incredible. You are a very patient woman!