Monday, October 15, 2007

Life must be easier now...so we don't need each other anymore?!?!?

Anyone who reads my blog knows that autumn is my favorite time of year. Ever since the season started I have been antsy to visit my grandparents in Northern Idaho. They live in a place where the Fall colors are spectacular and in abundance. This past weekend I finally got my wish (and early birthday present to myself) and took the long trip for a short visit. On Saturday we took a nice country drive on dirt roads through the many tiny country towns (like 5 or 6 houses and maybe a church) of Idaho county. We encountered wild turkey, loads of deer, and several free roaming cows that at times impeded our process. I became very nostalgic for the laid back, slower paced life. We visited my great grandmother’s homestead. Her house has long been torn down but her plum trees are still on the property.
The highlight of the trip was our visit to a tiny unmarked cemetery on a lonely out of the way hill. There is nothing like a cemetery to really put life in perspective.
Roaming through it I realized that life was certainly NOT easier for the people of the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. Even though this cemetery had less than 50 headstones the largest percentage of them were babies, small children and young people my age. Here are just a few of those heartbreaking stories:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I love this picture I took of my grandfather, it says so much! Even though my grandfather is a young man in his 70’s he did admit to me this weekend that he is starting to slow down. He said it was sobering to know half of the families in the cemetery. He is the son of the great grandmother that taught me to tat. My grandpa is my hero and I don’t like to think of the day that he will leave me.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My grandparents talked about how the new (out of state) people are moving in and the first thing they do is put up fences and no trespassing signs. How the charitable organizations like the Lyon’s club have died out because no one has an interest in joining groups anymore. And how unpatriotic young people have become. It is a sad truth. I have found that I am guilty of being antisocial, a trait I hope I can overcome.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I did take my tatting book along and did a lot of work on it in the evening. And because I was so inspired by being close to where my people came from (especially my great gran) I was inspired to create a new butterfly design. It is not yet finished but you can get the idea.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It will be called “Queen Alexandra” after the real butterfly.

Also, I have posted some of that "Rubi 5" thread in my shop.

No comments: