Thursday, April 24, 2008

Camping out

Well the packers are here today. They were supposed to come Tues and Wed, but apparently there was some miscommunication going on and they are packing everything today - standard military act.
We will be camping for a week or so in the house, sleeping on the floor, cleaning and getting the house ready to rent.
I'm kinda sad today.
It's been a tough couple of months and going to Shuttlebirds was just the spot of joy I needed.
It seems that in my life (and most people might think this way) if something goes really good then something invetitably goes really bad. I guess it's just a way to keep life balanced. Unfortunately though, since I had such a great tatting weekend I have been looking over my shoulder just waiting for disaster to strike.
Here are two nearly disasterous, partly humorous stories that have happened just recently.
#1 I sent my passport away on April 3rd to get my visa. I paid a lot of money to certify it both ways. The Korean consulate said it only takes 24 hours to proccess the application once they receive the passport. So one month is plenty of time to take care of this matter. Right before Shuttlebirds I kept thinking, "I should have received my passport back by now". Everytime I checked the tracking on the computer it showed that the passport had never even been received at the consulate. I was starting to get just a little worried. Well yesterday it finally came...Whoo hoo! but after I spent all that money on special packaging, certifying and tracking they didn't even use it. Argghhhh!

Near heart attack #2; When I flew out of Spokane Sunday after the convention a blizzard started. Yes, a full on blizzard...I'm not making this up. That was kinda cool..and just a "side note" to this story.
Anyway, when I landed in Boise I waited for hubby outside the terminal. He showed up and I had 2 bags and a lap top with me. We get in the car, drive all the way home and I realize that I left the lap top in it's brief case on the sidewalk outside the terminal. Can you believe it? That's what lack of sleep will do for you. So we drive right back to the airport (half an hour has gone by at this point) I berated myself the entire way, praying all the while that the airport wouldn't go into lockdown mode because some mysterious briefcase was sitting all on it's lonesome. I prayed that some miracle would happen and that it would still be there or that some saint would turn it in to lost and found. What are the chances? Right?
Breathless, I go running into the airport looking for someone to help me when I hear my hubby yelling that he had found it just where I had left it. God DOES answer prayers....and He likes to keep me on my toes.

Anyhow, I am sure we are all ready for Spring, but it feels like January outside. It snowed again last night. What is going on???

Here is a picture of my beatiful tree that is currently blooming. I am so glad I got to see it before we moved. This tree was dying two years ago, the previous owner did nothing to keep the grass and outdoor shrubs alive. I worked really hard both spring and fall to take care of this tree and it is now a thing of beauty. I would show you before and after pictures, but the "before" pictures are on the computer that has already left for Korea. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Some of you know that for excerise I do "Hot Yoga" as much as I can make time for. My husband is gone a lot so my yoga family has been there for me during those times especially. I had my last class this week and I am very sad to leave such wonderful people. The gal on the left is my favorite instructor, she is always such a happy bubbly person. Me in the middle and my friend who is now also an official yoga addict on the right.
Our faces are all red because we just spent 90 minutes working out in a 105 degree room.


Wow, now that was a lot of non-tatting related stuff!

This weekend, since we are basically camping now, I plan to work on some of those tatting designs I have been talking about, but first I will test a pattern for YarnPlayer...I am excited to try it Marilee!

I listed a new double shuttle today. This one is really pretty; decorated with babies breath.



MimiD said...

Sherry, what luck that your bag was still there under the snow in Boise!! The 5" that my husband says fell Friday night/Saturday was mostly gone by the time I got home to Sno(w)homish. Great to have seen you in Spokane! ---Mimi

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

It seems like you've had a very traumatic week, full of highs and lows. I'm sure it will be hard to leave your friends behind, but I think you have a wonderful adventure waiting for you! The new shuttle is beautiful! I love all the new designs you've put into your shuttles... your imagination is growing by leaps and bounds!

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

What a beautiful tree! It's still snowing here too! No evidence of global warming in Oregon! LOL Your baby's breath shuttle is gorgeous!

Tattycat said...

Wow. Lots of information. I'm glad neither of the disasters were! What a gift from God that you computer was right where you left it. I wonder where He had it hidden until you got back? I know things are tough, but I'm so glad that you and hubby are going to be together that there are more good times than bad. The tree is gorgeous. Is it a Weeping Cherry? We had one but it died. I know you will miss your friends, but if they are good friends, they will be with you forever - like all of us!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found your laptop. Your tree is beautiful. I'm glad you've had some lovely friends to spend time with. Good luck on the move...what a lot of stress!!!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Thank you for the comments everyone! I guess I was a little on the "chatty" side today. Yes Laura, the tree is a weeping cherry. I really hope it will be taken care of in my absence.
I'll be glad when all of this moving is over...

Anonymous said...

God must be smiling on you. Doing good things always has its return. That is why I try to avoid bringing my laptop, or a camera in that matter for I'm very sloppy. It is sad to move on (I will be leaving my office after 15 years in a few months).

Yoga - I fallen in love with Yoga Pilates which we have it at the office.

You are coming out with beautiful designs and color combinations. My cart is full but my pocket cannot keep up with it. HELP!!

Elizabeth said...

Loved your post - it's nice when people share personal stuff. :-) I'm glad everything worked out with all your near calamities! I actually gasped out loud when you said you left the laptop at the airport! O.O I'd just die if I lost my laptop LOL My husband thinks it's permanently attached to my lap.

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

God sure was looking out for you, so glad your laptop was still there. The tree is lovely and I'm glad you saw it before you left. Your new shuttle is so pretty. The design and color looks so good together. Good luck on your move. I hope your move goes smoothly! Take Care!

Marilee Rockley said...

Oh, Sherry, certainly God is looking after you, in good times and "not-so-good". So happy for you that your laptop was safe and didn't cause a panic or any other nasty thing.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with my pattern! It's a little tricky, and maybe it will help to keep your mind occupied :-)
Your baby's breath shuttle is lovely! Wish I didn't have so many bills to pay, and could just spend the money I make on selling HDT to support other artists.