Monday, July 30, 2007

I made a new friend at the bead store...

I went to the bead store yesterday and bought some pink seed beads to add to my tatting. Then I tatted up Jeanne Lugert's 3-D Rose Pattern, and added beads to it. The ironic thing is that everyone who knows me knows that I personally do not care for the color pink. (Did I just hear a gasp of horror?) Seriously, I have always been kind of a tomboy and I have a deep seeded dislike for the "girly" colors. But I believe that we are never too old to change. Do I like pink now? It's in debate. But anyway, this new project I am working on is very special and I hope to finish it before an upcoming special event.
So we'll just have to wait and see what it becomes...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Anyway, on to the best part of the story....So I walk into the bead store (which is really crowded with people and commotion) and I hear this really loud "HELLO BABY" yelled out. In the middle of the shop was a large bird cage with a yellow-naped amazon parrot sitting on top. The minute it saw me it started going through it's repertoire of phrases and whistles. Apparently this bird was very happy to see me.
I do happen to be a "bird person" so of course I walk over to the cage to give it some attention. Cecil (the bird's name) came right down and climbed on my shoulder.
The shop owner said she has never seen anything like it. Apparently this bird does not normally take to people the way it took to me, and oddly enough it "knew" me the second I stepped foot in the shop. Everyone in the store stopped to watch and laugh as this bird was giving me some serious love'n. I even got a discount when I checked out because I made the bird's day. When I left the shop I hollered "Goodbye Cecil" and Cecil said "Goodbye".
Well, I have to say that the bird made my day. What a sweetheart. I have a new friend that I will have to go and visit often.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I'm not fond of pink myself, but you wouldn't know it from my last blog entry. I've noticed before that I seem to tat a lot of pink...maybe to get rid of the thread? LOL!
:-) Gina

Tattycat said...

The 3D rose is beautiful, even if it is pink! This is so funny. I have never, ever liked pink! For some reason, lately I seem to be using a lot of pink. We really do sound like two of a kind. I love the bird story. That is another way we are alike. Bill and I had 30 or more birds at one time that we rescued, rehabilitated and found homes for. We had several of our own also. We have always laughed that we could walk into a shop and instantly determine the sex of the birds. The girls went to him and the boys went to me! We don't have them anymore and I miss them, but my health won't let me take care of them. (More than you wanted to hear.)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very pretty! I guess it's time to learn how to do a split ring!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Laura, I thought I had seen a picture on your blog of a parrot.
I am sorry that your health doesn't permit you to keep birds any longer. Currently I, myself, am birdless, but that may soon change.